Conditions and expectations before coming to Japan to work for JASS – for applicant of 2019.10-2021.03
Conditions and expectations before coming to Japan to work for JASS-2019-2020 (PDF)
One year and six months: from the beginning of October, 2019 to the end of March 2021.
240,000 Japanese yen per month including taxes, commute expensive, and insurance fees.
3). REQUIRED TASKS:
-Teaching 9 classes/900 minutes per week, including private lessons, or group lessons
– One workshop/lecture each month
– Instructor’s teaching base will be primarily in Tokyo but may be expected to travel to other parts of Japan (Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, etc) to teach a specific class for a specified period of time.
4). EXTRA WORK:
If the instructor is willing to teach more than 9 classes or host more than one workshop or lecture per month, then we will pay the instructor the following payment for the extra work besides the instructor regular salary:
3,500 Japanese Yen per class (90 minutes)
3,000 Japanese Yen per hour for workshop/lecture
3,000 Japanese Yen per tutoring session (90 minutes)
5). TEXT BOOK AND MATERIALS:
Our ASL classes are taught using Signing Naturally Units1-6 and Units 7-12, might be Level 3 too. We have all of the necessary materials for the instructor to use. We also would like to continue with Deaf Studies classes or any other classes/fields whatever the instructor can teach. We will appreciate if the instructor has any advice on which books to use or ideas of how to strengthen the classes.
6). WORKSHOP AND LECTURE:
The instructor will be required to provide one workshop or lecture each month besides teaching regular classes. The instructor should inform us of his/her topic field or the area best suited to his/her experience such as Deaf History, Comparative Culture, etc.
7). AIR FARE:
JASS will not be responsible or cover the payment for an airfare. The instructor will need to make his/her own arrangement to get to Japan.
8). ACCOMMODATION/PLACE TO LIVE:
JASS also will not be responsible in providing an accommodation. The instructor will need to make a living arrangement on his/her own. However JASS will be more than glad to assist you in the process. There are Weekly Mansion (monthly apartment), Guest House for foreigners and home-staying/room for rent. Weekly Mansion may be very expensive depending on which location you wish to live. Guest House may be cheaper than Weekly Mansion, but one will have to share bath and kitchen with other people. It is a little difficult to find an appropriate home-stay and/or room for rent. Unlike in America, there is no custom of sharing room with someone except family members in Japan. Japanese houses are generally small and most do not have the luxury of having an extra bedroom. We will do our best to help in any way we can.
9). JAPANESE CULTURE, SITUATION IN JAPAN AND ABOUT JASS:
Please read or study about our culture before coming to Japan. We have a very different culture and norms as expected by westerners. The ethics at workplace are quite different and may be shocking to westerners. Tokyo Metropolitan Government had approved and recognized JASS 16 years ago as a non-profit organization (NPO). Our society was founded in 1988, teaching ASL as a Foreign Language to Deaf Japanese and hearing people. It is a rare opportunity for us to obtain a working permit for this kind of work. There are few places where it is possible to hire a Deaf American as a full-time position teaching ASL. We are blessed and thrilled that we could continue to do this year.
10). PRE-ORIENTATION BEFORE COMING TO JAPAN:
You must attend the pre-orientation before coming to Japan when it is needed.
We highly prefer you have any certificate from ASLTA or you are graduated from the major of ASL studies or Deaf studies of a college or university in the United States. Or, you have any experiences to teach ASL in the United States or any other countries before.
We want to thank you for considering us and hope you will be interested in applying for the position of ASL Instructor. Thank you.
Nonprofit Organization Japanese ASL Signers Society (NPO JASS)
Iidabashi, Chiyoda ku
Fax 81-3-3264-8977 (from overseas)
DOCUMENTS FOR SUBMISSION:
All documents and digital files must be arrived by 12:00 JST, Friday April 26, 2019 to the Tokyo office or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some of these documents are required at the immigration when you are hired.
1) Application form
2) Resume (especially refer to your teaching experience)
The applicant is required to have three (3) or more years of experience teaching ASL.
3) Documents which certify educational experience (official transcript from your college/university)
4) Documents which certify your work experience: e.g. Certificate of Employment issued by ex-employer.
5) Documents which certify experience teaching formal ASL classes
6) At least 2 recommendations (not from your family or personal friends)
*This photo will be used when we submit a visa application to Immigration Bureau of Japan.
The applicant pictured alone, upper body.
The applicant should face squarely to the front and should remove any hats, caps or head coverings.
A plain background with no shadows.
Must be sharp and clear.
Must have been taken within 30 days prior to submission.
8) Record your answers to our questions (see below) using your natural language, ASL
*record DVD (software of Windows Media) and send to our office by mail
*upload to YouTube (private)
Questions for recording the instructor self (less 20 minutes):
1. Please introduce yourself and tell us why you are interested in this position.
2. Why do you wish to move to Japan?
3. Please tell us what you know about Japan, its people and its culture. Have you been to Japan or any other Asian countries before? If so, what was your experience? Did you like it or not?
4. How will you plan to teach ASL to Deaf Japanese and/or hearing people who don’t know English language and customs of the westerners?
5. What do you think will be the most important thing in order to teach ASL here?
6. How will JASS benefit by hiring you as our instructor?
Please send all the documents and movie before the deadline, 12:00 JST, Friday April 26, 2019. We will have a meeting on the following week of the closing date for the application.
Thank you for your interest and we really appreciate your application.